- Greeting with 10 complete salaams in one day: 300 x 10 = 3000 virtues!
- Greeting with (30 x 10) complete salaam for one month: 3000 x 300 = 900,000 virtues!
- Greeting with (300 x 12) complete salaam for one year: 900,000 x 12 = 10,800,000 virtues!
- Greeting with the complete salaam for 20 years: 10,800,000 x 20 = 216,000,000 virtues!
As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuhu
My friends, these are such virtues that can be earned whilst we are walking about. There is no condition as to be in the state of wudhu (ablution) etc., & these small things make mountains of virtues. But, it is regretful that we are so much engrossed in the craze of this world that our attention does not go towards this. So, what else could be said apart from that? The heart of humans has now become solid. Only in his own business, he has become devoted. The lesson of the Holy Book when he left, he became miserable & unhappy...
Hadhrat Imran Bin Hussain (Raziyallahu-'Anhu) narrates that a person came to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) & said "As-Salaamu 'Alaikum". The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) replied to the greeting & said "Ten virtues." A second person came to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) & said "As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullah". The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) replied to him (with salaam) & said "Twenty virtues." Then a third person came to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) & greeted him with the complete salaam. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) replied to him & said "Thirty virtues." (Mentioned by Abu Dawood, Tirmizi & Nisai)
Manners of the Islamic Greeting
- The "Salaam" should precede all other speech; say, "As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuhu" (May the peace, mercy, & blessings of Allah be upon you).
- Answer this greeting for answering the Salaam of one who initiates the greeting is compulsory, saying, "Wa 'Alaikumus-Salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuhu" (& upon you the peace, mercy, & blessings of Allah).
- Greet all Muslims in the said manner, regardless of whether you know them or not.
- When you wish to leave the company of an individual or of a group, say, "As-Salaamu 'Alaikum."
- The younger one should initiate the greeting with his elder; the one who's riding should initiate the greeting with the one who's walking; & the one who's walking should initiate the greeting with the one who's standing.
- Greet every Muslim you meet at work, at school, or in the street with the said Islamic greeting, for that is the greeting of the Muslims.